Why is Key Holding so important?
A keyholding company will respond to your alarm being activated, taking the hassle out of a person from your business having to respond to false alarm activation’s and the dangers of responding to serious incidents. Due to current crime levels, using a professional key holder and alarm response service is becoming ever more commonplace, and in certain instances, viewed as a business necessity.
A key holder should:
• Be available and carry the business keys 24/7
• Understand the mechanics of how to operate the alarm system
• Respond as quickly as possible in line with SOPs
• Always have in possession relevant emergency contact details in the event of a serious incident
Good Practice when responding to an activation –
• Make sure someone knows where you are
• Always approach from the front
• Avoid dark areas
• Give yourself plenty of room when checking the property (do not keep too close to the building line)
• If you have a mobile phone, take it with you and liase with a colleague if possible
• Carry a torch with you at all times
• If there are any strange vehicles on the driveway or any unusual lights on, DO NOT APPROACH – RING THE GARDAI
• If, on checking the premises, you discover that they are insecure, DO NOT GO INSIDE – CALL THE GARDAI. DO NOT TOUCH THE DOORS OR WINDOWS
• If the property appears to be in order then enter and check. Re-set the alarm (you will need the code), or call the engineer depending upon circumstances agreed with the business
• On leaving the premises make sure they are secure and inform the Gardai/Monitoring Station if you were contacted by them to attend
• Having volunteered as a key holder you need to know the whereabouts of the business owner should they need to be contacted. If the property has been broken into or damaged, it will be your responsibility on behalf of the business for any temporary repairs
The gardai recommend outsourcing key holding duties to security companies who are trained and equipped to deal with alarm activation’s and the associated risk involved. Key holders responsibilities are vast, and as such, businesses are choosing Kennedy Security to ensure these challenging and possibly dangerous duties are conducted by professionals.
Want to find out more about our Key Holding services?
Contact us today to speak to our Risk Management Team on 045 872090.